Tuesday 10 May 2016

Opinionated article about the use of work language in other contexts (hairdresser perspective)

Target Audience-The Guardian

Is work taking over your life?
Do you use your work language in other situations?

Each occupation have different Lexis.
It is common knowledge that the average worker can not go a day without talking about work but can they go without talking like they are at work? It is wrong for workers to spend their lives feeling as though they are constantly worrying about work and not being able to come out of work mode when they are in other situations.

Being a hairdresser I have a large lexical field that I use at work and I often find myself using the jargon at home. Whenever I am told to relax by family it does not help, because my mind goes to a method of straightening hair called relaxing. Is this normal?

Whilst hairdressing has improved my small talk skills, it often means that the conversation often goes to the topic of hair. I also tend to converge (make my speech similar to theirs) with my customers as it makes them feel more comfortable whilst having their hair cut. Therefore when I talk to friends or people I meet I tend to converge with them too.

I can not speak for everyone and maybe I am the only person who does this but if not then I think it is wrong that we spend our lives talking as if we are at work. Workers should be able to use their jargon at work and then cut off as soon as they leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment